Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Return to the "Scene of the Climb": Cradle to Grave 30K

This past week I have forced myself to rest and try to recover from a hip flexor injury.  A trip to hot Aiken helped with this as I had no desire to run in the heat and humidity of the middle of a Saturday in the 90's.  Over the past week my hip flexor has hurt when I run or go up and down stairs.  As of Sunday the pain was gone.  Labor Day Monday this year was an exciting day, the first time the hubs has been off in 9 years!  We took this opportunity to enjoy a family hike and I jumped at the opportunity to take them to the scene of the climb of the Cradle to Grave 30K Pilot Cove and Slate Rock.

I had dreams it would be easier then the race, but a 35 pound toddler on my back as I climbed part of the hill made it pretty tough.  Still, the reward at the top reminded me of why we climb, to see the beauty from above!

A flash back to the race on May 18, 2013: This was my first trail race!  What was I thinking?????  I think the review of it being "flat" with only one moderate climb roped me in.  I still laugh at the thought of it being moderate!  I run trails ALOT, so this was ambitious to sign up for a 30K but I had covered the distance on single track trails during my training.  However, the night before the race I was terrified, I was running this alone, without my dad or husband, and I was intimidated by all those serious trail runners.  I am not a fast runner, I run for completion, not for pace.  

I suprisingly had a decent night sleep and woke up to pouring rain as my dad went with me from Asheville to the Cradle of Forestry.  I do remember asking him if he wanted to take my place!  It rained and rained and rained........and rained!  

The race started a bit late, which didn't bother me really, and began in the rain.  In the first few miles I knew we were in for it, a mud run, a creek run, an adventure.  Mud and water up to my hips at times, sink holes in the middle of the trail.  But the beauty and the camaraderie was amazing!  I was feeling awesome, enjoying every moment and here it came, Pilot Cove, Up, Up, and Up some more.  The kind of up that stops you in your tracks.  The kind of up that once you gain any momentum if you can, their is a large root or a switchback to stop that in its tracks.  But I knew there was the view at the top, I hadn't seen it but knew it was coming.  I pressed on up!
The Ascent

 Once at the top, almost top, the trail continues across the rock.  Being slow and running for fun, I took the photo op offered to us and I am so glad I did!

At the Almost Top
 I do believe the rock was the only part of this race that wasn't muddy!  The descent was much like the ascent, root and rock filled and technical.  I ran where I could but walked a lot, I am not skilled in technical trail running yet!  The race then goes back the way it came as I tried to remember where the sink holes were, my GPS forgot where it was and added a mile at 12.  I was off and confused!  At about 15 miles I was hurting, and then I hit it, the sink hole of mud up to my hip.  With a laugh I climbed out and pressed on.  The race finished the last miles on a beautiful wooden board walk, across more creeks and to the finish line.  

My goal honestly was to finish but would be pleased if I finished under 4:45.  Finish time: 4:32:45! And nothing better than running into the finish line to my son jumping into my arms with joy!  This is why I run! Sweet!  The post race was as awesome as the race shirt!  BBQ, beer, music, sweet rolls and so much more.  After we enjoyed the food and fun, we headed home so I could clean the mud from my body and get ready for a wedding.  Successfully accomplished that and headed home to bed to get up and run the Biltmore Estate 15K the next morning.  Hardest thing I've every done!

I want to run this race again, but next year it comes 3 months post due date for Baby Bell II so I may have to be the support staff this year, my dad was dying to put on his shoes this year so I know he will next year!

So yesterday, we returned, I couldn't wait to show the boys!  The Pilot Cove Loop is short, 2.5ish miles, but beautiful along the stream and through the ferns, and as I told Will, up up up!

This picture is about 17 weeks after May 18, 2013.  Yep this bump was in the works as I ran in May, I just didn't know it!

A sunny day at the top, race shirt on, covering the 17 week bump:-)

 The boys were impressed with the view, and the hubs is ready to sign up for the race now too!  Will hiked the majority of the time, riding on my back on the way up for a bit and down on his daddy's back a bit.  Despite that, he ran, a lot, he is a runner to be!

And the trees of the field will clap their hands!  My boys!

Family pic at the Scene of the Climb
What a day, just as wonderful as May 18, 2013 and glad the family could share in the fun!  If you have a desire to do a longer trail run, I HIGHLY recommend this race!

No comments:

Post a Comment