Monday, July 4, 2011

A New Outlook and an Encouragement for Everyone



So first question: How many of you looked at the "purple lady" and man behind her and thought "What?" Not judging you for answering, "Yep I did," because trust me I have done the same. In all honesty "purple lady" is a fixture in my sister and I's history, we always saw her at the Y working out through high school and college summers and commented on her get-up and I do think it is still the same get-up!


So, moving on......That is me beside her, of course the girl with the one black leg:-)! I ran the Weaverville Firecracker 5K this morning with my dad (of course he finished in 23 minutes so I was no where close). Let me tell you something, this was a challenge for me, it was a hilly course, and hot. Not to beat a dead horse, but this summer has presented challenges, heat and hills are not my leg's favorites. After a trip to the ER a few weeks ago because my leg was again twice the size of the right leg, I have started back at square one with running, and I may be here a while. But, the best news, that is okay with me. Finally! So sure this distance used to be a warm-up for marathon training, but now this distance means SO MUCH MORE! And here is a taste of what I mean:



  1. I no longer start my watch at the gun, I just run and enjoy the fact that I can.


  2. I no longer care about the time I finish (I actually forgot to even look at the clock when I crossed the line and had to wait for results online) I just want to finish "vertically with a smile on my face."


  3. I start at the back of the pack, not the middle (never started at the front)!


  4. I don't care about how many people I pass, I get excited for the people who pass me.


  5. And today, I finished behind a girl who probably weighed 75pounds more than me. Maybe I could have caught her, maybe I couldn't have, but I stayed about 5 feet behind her for the last 1/2 mile down hill thinking, "you know, this may be her first race, this may mean more to her to place in front of me than it does to me, there is no award for either of us, lets just stay put."


  6. I used to be able to come in 2nd place in my age group if there were only 2 or 3! Or I used to be in the top 10 in my age group in bigger races, now I may be last or in the bottom 10, and I am okay with that because those who finished before me sure wouldn't get too excited if they had no one to beat!


  7. And as I walk around before the race (I don't believe in warming up or swelling up the leg before the start:-) I look at everyone and cheer inside my heart, glad that they are here. I no longer look and think, "good gosh, I better beat "purple lady" because that would be embarassing if she beat me," or "What is she/he wearing or not wearing?" Because I now know people look at me and ask that question, and yes, FINALLY I am okay with that!


  8. LASTLY: I did look at my time online and I am completely and utterly proud of the fact that I RAN this race in 32 minutes and only walked on a couple of very steep hills.

So....if you are out there and think, "I can't run a 5K" or "Runners are elitists," let me tell you, come on out with me and go for a run. Don't say "oh but you run marathons or you are skinny" because I don't anymore and I just want you to join me. I do not say this to be prideful, but... if I can run with one good leg and about 1/4 of another leg, you can get out there and do it. Many people have asked what it feels like for me to run now with my leg and physically all I can say is tie a band around your upper thigh and walk up a hill, that is how my leg feels from the first step to the last. But mentally, I feel GREAT, I feel like I have accomplished so much more than ever before and I am thankful that the Lord allowed me to have a vein close so that clot couldn't take me from this earth. I am a runner, I am not a walker, I am not a jogger, I am a runner no matter what time I finish!


Joshua 1:3 Every place that the sole of your foot will tread upon I have given to you.

1 comment:

  1. Taylor, you are awesome! Very encouraging post. :)

    ReplyDelete