Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Words Cannot Express.......!

.......the joy and emotions of this day and the YEARS leading up to it!  Two years ago two lives were saved, only by grace, for reasons I may never fully know.  Two years ago I was getting ready to give birth and had dreams of a marathon or half iron man within 6 months of delivery.  Those plans changed.  I never thought it would take two years to run another race longer than a 10K. 

I have attempted to find a half marathon over the last year but every one I found, my leg just wasn't ready to hold up.  I signed up for the Augusta half in January, determined, even if it took 3 hours.  Dad told me he would run with me when I was ready so we began the journey.  Training was tough, the heat waves in winter threw my leg off at times but we kept plugging.  Before I knew it February was here and thankfully the weather was great, low 40's to start.  I was terrified of the BIG hills, my leg just can't circulate on them yet, but I was ready to walk if need be.  I cried on some of my training runs just thinking of finishing this race.

The day came, Dad was with me, Mom, Will and Austin supporting us from the sideline.  Off we went with a goal of 2:30 or so but I had an awesome pacer and only had to walk once on the level 5 hill.  I couldn't have done it without my dad running by my side and in front of me during the winds.

Dad and I (and faithful Tawanda) coming into the homestretch!
 At about mile 5.5 my leg did what it always does, pinched and began to swell.  At some point though I know it will go numb and I just keep plugging.  This picture was taken at about mile 10.5!
Father and Daughter having a blast!
 As we came into the finish I saw Austin, Will, and Mom.  I have dreamed of carrying Will across the finish line and today that dream came true.  Will is my joy, he has made this journey more than worth it!  I was fighting back the tears, it was overwhelming.
I have dreamed and longed for this day, I had tears in my eyes!
 When we crossed the finish line the man put the medal on Will.  To be honest, it hasn't been around my neck yet and I love it.  God gave me Will for so many reasons but the one I see today is that he taught me what is important through Will.  We are a family, it takes support from Austin to train, peace for Will to ride in the stroller, and so much more.  It is a family effort, not a Taylor effort.  They deserve the medal!

Will wouldn't take off "our" medal and still wears it during the day!


I joked with my dad a couple of times that if he saw the bus coming to get us because I was running too slow that he needed to take off in a sprint because he could finish in half the time!  I also told him by running with me, he was padding the pack so those who came in front could say they beat more people!

I don't really even know how to summarize this day.  All I do know is that I am SO thankful, thankful to be alive, to have two legs, even if one is a bum leg, and to be able to run.  Today it was about finishing something I was challenged more than ever to do, it was not easy, but by the grace of God I started and finished this race.  I probably enjoyed it more than any other race I have run!

And just a bit of info in closing: my leg didn't fully gain feeling until two days later, and my chip time was 2:20:55 which although is one of my slowest times ever, was much faster than I set out to finish!

Words cannot express my thanks to my dad who ran beside me, my husband who let me have "my moment", my mom who cheared me on day after day, and Will who has given me purpose in running!  God is good!

Lastly, running to me is so much better now, I run for more than myself or my time, I run because God gave me life and he made me realize I run for him!

1 comment: