Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The story of January 30, 2014

For those that are interested here comes the story of January 30, 2014!  No nasty details, just the way it all went down!  Please forgive typos, mostly one handed typing due to the child sleeping on my chest who will scream if I move.

To say I was terrified to leave the house and go to the hospital at 9:30 Thursday morning would be an understatement.  It was the only time Will has screamed to stay with me when his Nonnie was the one taking care of him!  We got in the car and Austin asked, are you ready? I just started crying and said no!  Ready or not though, the day had come.  I was ready to meet Colin but scared of so many things, terrified of what happened after Will and just scared.

We got to the hospital and started getting prepped for the C section for our little man.  IV in, ready to go, not turning back.  When my doctor came in he gave us another run down of how things would go while we waited for the ultrasound machine to warm up to do one last check of Colin's position.  The nurse had just felt my tummy and agreed she didn't think he had flipped.  As of my 38 week appointment he was head up.  The doctor got ready to check, all of us having no thoughts of seeing a butt up high.  And then he saw it, a bit, a bladder, testicles up in the top of my stomach.....Colin had flipped!   

Over the past weeks I had laid upside down, done pelvic tilts, inversions, played music down near my nether regions, everything I could to flip the kiddo!  Everyone told me I would know when he flipped but I don't.  I have an assumption, the most movement I felt was on Tuesday two days before he was born.  I hadn't done tilts or laid upside down for two weeks, but I went for a run and one other thing I won't list:-)!

Now we had a decision, I didn't really have a choice to go back home as I had stopped my blood thinner two days before.  I started crying, happy but confused and my doctor decided to check my cervix to see our options.  I did not want a c section but I I wasn't ready we weren't sure what to do.  2-3 centimeters, 39 weeks, soft enough that he felt confident to induce.  CRAP, I didn't want a c section but man being induced sucks!  But again, blood thinner and clots aren't fun either.  Onward! We waited a bit to get an L and D room and I got a mini ginger ale! Wahoo, I hadn't eaten or drank since midnight the night before.

At about 1:30 we were in a room and the pitocin was started.  He also broke my water because he didn't want him flipping back and I was on a very short time limit due to the time frame of needing to start my blood thinner.  Before Will I was convinced that natural child birth was the only way to go, I was convinced I was right about a lot of things before I gave birth and became a parent.  While I am in full support of natural child birth, and I wanted to do it, I knew we may have a hard time this go around since I wasn't really ready for delivery.  With my anxiety about everything I made it clear I had no desire to be a hero and would get an epidural as soon as needed.  I also knew with Will, when I got the epidural after 8 hours of pitocin induced regular and strong contractions with no water to pad it, my body quickly went to full and complete.

At 4:30 and 4.5 centimeters (yep you read that right, only 4.5) I asked for the epidural.  It took some time to get it to work, and it never really covered my right side which helped me feel how things were going, I was fairly comfortable by 5:45.  My doctor came in and said he had to go do an emergency c section and to get some rest.  My nurse told me to let her know if I had rectal pressure and to rest.  My sister came at 6.  About 6:15 I asked her why it felt like I was having contractions in my butt.  She told me to call the nurse.  In she came and checked me, by 6:30 I had gone from 4.5 to 9 and 3/4 with no cervix! But my doctor was in a c section, so I crossed my legs:-)

Around 7 he came running in and we were ready to go.  3 contractions later, a small cut, Colin's head was on its way out!  7:15 pm, Colin, his little head and 7 pound 2 ounce body was born with an ease I had never experienced with Will!

What a day! All of my fears were released as the Lord completely proved his plans to me from the moment we had the ultrasound.  After Colin was born I felt worlds better then I did with Will, really feeling that this time would be different!  After leaving for a moment after Colin was born, my doctor came back in and prayed with our family, nothing can explain how awesome that was!

I cannot put into words the feelings experienced on January 30th, but I can say I am thankful for every bit of it, and wouldn't change it for the world!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy for you, Taylor!! And so great you were able to avoid a c-section - less recovery this way. Enjoy your new baby snuggles with Colin. :)

    ReplyDelete