Lets just face it, I love winter running! I love it so much more than hot summers. I love that I can pick any time during the day and go, its always cool to cold, perfection! Of course, I don't live in an extreme Northern Climate, but it gets cold here, very cold at times. I feel more comfortable in the cold, runs are more enjoyable, its just easier to me. But...this comes at a cost, some necessities for winter running are great gear!
I am not a brand ambassador, I am not picky as to what name I wear, I just like good warm, comfortable running clothes. This winter it is a little different, but the necessities are the same, I just need things a bit bigger to cover my growing 31 week belly!
So here is my list from most important on down:-)
A Base Layer: this is not my favorite item but to me it sets the tone. A good base layer keeps your core warm and starts it all off well. I like half zips so I can vent as needed.
A good pair of Tights: The full length pair I wear is from Target, Champion brand and I love them! I also stick to my CWX compression capris with my compression socks when needed (my compression socks are prescription strength JOBST for my blood clots, doesn't get more compressed than that!).
Socks: I LOVE SWIFTWIK! I have a great pair of wool ones that I love in the winter.
Gloves: I'm not picky here, I wear some from the Chickamauga Marathon most days but if I need more I fall back on my trusty Nike pair.
HAT: This is probably my favorite piece. And I am in love with my Saucony running hat with the slit if I want to put my pony tail through! It is light but warm and its blue, one of my favorites.
Jacket: Very important but not the most because it is only needed in the super cold or windy temps. In the below picture my mom has it on because it won't zip over my belly. It is Saucony as well and I LOVE it. It does need a good base layer under it but it will amaze you how fast it warms up!
Skinfare: So not really a cold weather related need, but I need it a lot for my pregnant chub rub! I LOVE Skinfare!
In this picture, between my mom and I, we have most of my favorites on!
The Asheville Turkey Trot at 30 weeks pregnant with my mom. I am pretty pleased with how this race went, it was great that they brought it downtown. I am not much of a 5Ker anymore, but that is about my limit these days. With the Asheville hills, a time of 35 minutes and some change made me happy!
Do you like Winter Running? If so what is your most important piece of winter running gear?
Don't forget, the Asheville Marathon is coming in March with a half marathon option as well. Obviously from the pictures on the site you can see you needed every bit of winter running gear this last year but two things: one - it should be warmer this year begin a couple weeks later and two - even if it is cold, its beautiful!

I always think I'm going to hate cold-weather running when winter comes around every year, but I always love my runs more than usual in the cold. As long as I'm dressed warmly enough, so this is a great post for me! I love my Champion tights as well. I'll have to check out the Swiftwik socks, because it's always my feet that are freezing.
ReplyDeleteI prefer running in the cold coz I can dress to warm then I'll be ok. It's easier to breathe and I don't get tired that much. Unlike running in hot weather, it makes me so dizzy and dehydrated.
ReplyDelete