In writing this I am aware that I will probably offend some people, but it is something I can't ignore. I know this is an issue that is a national debate at times and makes news frequently as mothers hash it out.
Stay at home mom versus working mom. Here's the deal, I just read a wonderful article on judging, specifically juding before children. I will be the first to admit that I didn't understand why mom's work, how mom's could put their kids in day care every day of the week. I have changed, don't get me wrong I would still rather be home every day with my child but I dont' have that option in this "season of life."
So my debate: Why is it that some stay at home mom's assume that working moms don't want to be with and raise their kids? And why is it that some working mom's think stay at home mom's are lazy and can't get a job? I am arguing both sides here. But here is my deal, people need to be careful of what they say (duh!) when they talk about their "calling." I fully support stay at home mom's, however I can't stand when the comments are then made about how in the world can they imagine letting someone else raise their children! Followed by "what kind of mom would I be if I let someone else raise my child and spend every week day in their care?" (quotations only for emphasis, not a direct quote from anyone).
Here it is: that comment/those comments hurt. Although some of us have to work and some choose to work, that doesn't mean that we "want" someone else raising our child. It doesn't mean we are lesser moms. Not a day goes by that I wish I could be the one home with my child, but God has put me in a "season of life" that involves leaving my home, leaving my child physically (cause I sure can't stop thinking about him all day) and going to work.
So...I don't say this in anger, I don't say that these comments are made personally to me, I think sometimes they are made without thought of their impact on others. I say all of this only to help make it known that we don't all have the option to stay home with our kids, but that does not make us a lesser parent! I am a mom first, my main job is being a mom, that is where my prayer and my thoughts are the majority of every day. But I also work, this I have been called to do. It sure doesn't mean I do it to cover our "debt" (because we have none) or to get bigger and better things, we live quite simply at this house. I do it because God has us in this place at this point in our lives but my focus is still on my child, I am a Mom, one that works outside the home, and it is okay!
No comments:
Post a Comment