Over the last months, I have been working with Will on the lesson we all teach every child in this world: you don't always get what you want. Okay so sure, he doesn't quite understand that yet, but we all know we can't let them have everything they want! And why do we teach this to our children and what basis do we give them, we tell them we know what is best for them, we are there mother/father/parent....and we know what is best. So many times this afternoon, Will wanted something, a lot of times it was something he shouldn't have, but it was something he WANTED! And time after time, I explained to him that he couldn't have it but he could have something else.
Sound familiar? Here is my question, have you asked yourself the same? Do you want something and think that it is what you NEED but truly it is what you WANT?
As I drove home yesterday, the "long" drive from Asheville to Graniteville that gets harder and harder to make, it finally hit me, maybe I am supposed to learn to be content where I am. This is no mistake, I am here for a reason, we are here for a reason! Does that make it any easier, not really right now, but does it change my perspective, ABSOLUTELY! I thought to myself, all along maybe you have been longing for what you WANT but you are being told by your Father in heaven, this is not what he desires, he has other plans, and this is part of his wonderful plan. So if his plans are perfect, why not be content and be open to the fact that he is leading, that he is in control, and if that is the case, then my wants are not my needs.
It is just like me telling Will that I know what is best for him by not giving him everything he wants, such a simple thing to think of as a parent. But I have never really applied it to myself, maybe God is not giving me everything I want because he knows what is best and we are on a path to his final destination! If I am on his path, why should I doubt that he is providing, just as I know that I will provide for Will, so too will my Father in heaven.
I have been listening to Tim Keller podcasts in the car when I can and one that hit me big time was called Tears. I have had a lot of them lately, pretty much daily, today I have had many due to complete and utter fatigue! But what I have come to realize is that my tears are not in vain, they have a purpose if I "pray my tears." "In praying our tears, we remember God's grace, behold the cross and find assurance in the glory yet to come." Man what a thought, maybe I should pay more attention to the "lessons" I am teaching Will and apply them to myself much more often!
No comments:
Post a Comment