Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Biltmore Kiwanis 15K and First Post Partum Race

Last Sunday I ran my first race after having Colin, the Biltmore Kiwanis Classic Race 15K!  This was my fourth time running this race, the 15K option, and it continues to be my favorite 15K race.  I want to start with a little background.

The first time I ran this race was in 2008 and I think I averaged 9:15 minute miles.  I was younger, faster, and had time to run without children.  I loved the race but struggled with the hills.  I've never been a fan of hills so I avoided them.

I ran this race again in 2009.  I have a picture that my parents bought for me sitting on my night stand of me running in front of the house.  I love the picture but I can look at it and remember what was going through my head at the time.  I had just suffered a miscarriage with our first pregnancy one month before.  I was heart broken, searching for a release, for healing.  I was not trained for the race as I had stopped running during the miscarriage and recovery.  I ran it 10 minutes slower then the year before.

2009 in front of the house

In 2010 I did not run the race, I was blessed to have a son in March of 2010.  I had grand plans of a quick return to running.  But if you have read my history, you know that didn't happen.  After days in PICU for his brain bleed, and days in the hospital, then ICU for a procedure to get rid of a massive blood clot in my deep veins all due to May Thurners Syndrome, I was unable to walk across the house without pain.  It took me two long years to build up to run another distance longer then a 5K.  It also took away any chance of speed as my leg shuts down and begins to swell as the miles go on.  However, I was able to finish a half marathon and marathon in 2012!

In 2013, I signed up again for this awesome race, but then I saw it, the Cradle to the Grave 30K, a "flat" trail race in the beauty of the Pisgah National Forest.  It was the day before Biltmore.  I decided to sign up and see if I could do both.  We were ready to begin trying to have a second child and got the all clear from my doctors.  So this was my last hurrah just in case I couldn't run again.  On Saturday in 2013 I finished the Cradle to the Grave 30K, my first trail race.  It was awesomely muddy and hard but AMAZING.  I woke up the next morning tired and stiff but ready to go.  Needless to say 2013 at Biltmore was SLOW, but I still loved every moment.  A week later I found out I was pregnant!

At the finish in 2010 with my Mom, Dad, son and one in the oven!

I was able to run again throughout the pregnancy, delivering my second son in January of 2014.  My dad, mom, sister and brother-in-law signed up for the 15K and I was itching to sign up as well.  I was hesitant, not knowing what my body would do after this pregnancy.  I went on my last run three days before my son was born.  I signed up and thought I would try.  There is a 5K option, but as a season passholder, I run the course of the 5K all the time.  I like distances better.

The Lagoon Trail headed back to Antler Hill Village

After my second born entered this world, we had a much different experience, everything went perfect!  I was so excited I went for a 3 mile walk two days after coming home.  I ran three weeks later and kept going.  I didn't really train for the race, just went on some decent runs up to 6.5 miles when I could.  I am nursing, and I was back at work two weeks before the race so my time was taken and I ran when I could.

The Lagoon Trail with my oldest on the bike and the newest 3 days away from birth
Race weekend I was tired, but I was ready.  I was struggling with being back at work and missing my boys, trying to be supermom and complete all the things that needed to be done.  I needed an escape more then ever and I was so glad I signed up for this race.  Sunday morning was my first experience as a running mom 15 weeks after delivering a baby.  The morning in my opinion was overrated, pumping, getting ready while exhausted, the list goes on.  My plan was to enjoy the race, ignore the time, and just run by feel.  So here is the recap:

I rode in with my parents to the Biltmore Estate, arriving at the gate around 6:15 am.  It is almost like a scene from the Field of Dreams as you see all the cars with their lights on lined up ready to enter the open fields.  We parked, used the restroom and headed up to the start line.  It was in the 40's and lightly raining.  I love chilly weather running so I was fine with it, welcome to Asheville in May! 

The race starts on a bit of a downhill, then flat, before the initial climb to Deerpark.  It is easy to start out too fast but I've learned my lesson and held back.  I hadn't run hills since having Colin so my approach was to run walk the hills.  But the climb felt good, no walking and I was at the top.

You then descend to the entrance gate before climbing from about mile 3 to about 5.5.  But at the top of the climb you are staring straight at the Biltmore House with the mountains behind.  It is breathtaking, every time!  I made it up without any walk breaks, feeling strong.  I decided to pick up the pace and head down through the gardens, down to the lagoon where it gets flat again.  It is then flat until about 1 mile left and some gradual small hills come into play before finishing going up a bit.  

2014 In front of the House, photo credit: Sharp Shooter Imaging

At mile 8 I was beginning to get a little tired, the turn over in my legs was slowing, and then the tears came to my eyes.  I was running, 15 weeks after delivering a child, feeling strong, no blood clots, just thankful!  Pressing on I came through the finish in 1:41:xx, faster then last year, slower then the pre-baby days.  Honestly I had to look my time up because I didn't know, I didn't even set my Timex Ironman watch.  It just felt good, freeing, amazing!

If you are looking for a destination race, this is it.  Capped at 1100 runners in both races it is small but full.  The sights are amazing, the house, the gardens, the mountains, everything about it is wonderful.  This is a very well run race and it is run for a great cause!  I hope to see you next year at the line!

A few things of note on my post-partum running and the success of feeling free during this race:
1. I felt that my core was strong which helped me climb without training on the climbs.  I have been doing a plank a day as well as core work and strength training for runners since delivery.
2. Since I am breast feeding, I am always starving and thirsty, I have an almost 18 pound 15 week old that likes to eat. I ate a piece of gluten free/dairy free bread with almond butter before the race (he is intolerant to wheat and dairy).  I also used a Huma Gel which is now my go to since running pregnant and wanting a natural option.  Lastly, I took my Nathan Quick Shot hand held water bottle with Nuun to sip on throughout the race.
3.  My staple is my CW-X compression capris, JOBST compression sock for my post DVT left leg.  But I added a new top, the Oiselle Winona tank.  This is by far my favorite running top ever!
4. Lastly, a smile, a goal to just run to be set free, to feel good, and to be thankful!

7 comments:

  1. Elegantly written and thank you for letting us experience your journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful race! You direct it well!

      Delete
  2. So happy for you!!!!

    What core workout do you use?! ..I need a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lara! I started doing a plank a day after having Colin and built up the time as I got stronger. That has helped a ton. The other one I'm doing is from women's running magazine, it's quick and simple. I'll email you the exercises.

      Delete
  3. I was recently diagnosed with May-Thurner Syndrome after losing my son at 26 weeks of pregnancy. I had a blood clot removed as well as a stent put in to prevent future clots. Before and during pregnancy I was an avid runner and exercised regularly. I came across your blog after researching for more information on MTS, exercise, and pregnancy. After reading a few of your blog posts and discovering our similar lifestyles, you have brought me great hope for future pregnancies as well as running. So… thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Sara Jo thanks for visiting and sharing! I have always wondered if there are any others out there like me:-). I also have a stent but it is collapsed! My duplicate iliac does what it can. It's been a journey but I am super thankful for my boys! Where are you? I will be thinking about you and hoping your journey takes you down an awesome path too!

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry it has taken so long for me to get back to you. I am in Omaha, Nebraska. Where are you located? I would love to keep in touch as I have joined other support groups for MTS on Facebook and Google Groups, but I haven't found anyone with a similar background. My email is snorgelas@gmail.com. I look forward to connecting... Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete